Nevertheless, there is a thin line between wanting more and the pursuit of more that determines whether you have peace or you are consumed. Allow me to share with you a story that highlighted the difference thousands of years ago.
- There were a certain group of people, some would say they were “chosen”, who were given specific directions before they embarked on a journey.
- The people were hungry and remembered former times that were more prosperous. They cried out to their leaders and they were given provisions but with specific instructions.
- Each person was to take only according to his or her need, day by day. When they obeyed, they always had enough.
- But, on one occasion, some of the people were greedy and took more than just a day’s worth of provision. When they woke up the next morning, their excess began to stink. Not only was there a smell, but there were worms that bred from the leftovers.
Isn’t that disgusting? First, can you imagine only living day by day, dependent on someone for your needs, with no concern about what you are to eat or put on for the next day? (Take a deep breath and stop hyperventilating.) But can you imagine just taking a little extra of what has been promised and provided to you, only to have worms consume it and to have it stink the next day?
Feel how you like, but this story reveals several truths and life lessons:
- No matter how hard you work or how much you amass, you can’t take it with you.
- The blessings that have been giving unto you, have a specific purpose which is why the giver provides specific instructions for optimal use.
- CAUTION: It may be alluring, highly desired or a high priority in the beginning, but when you take more than you should of a thing, it becomes a burden and begins to STINK!
Even scarier is when you find the fruits of all of your hard work going to waste or yourself in a position where you can’t enjoy it. Think about the example of Apple Founder, Steve Jobs.
As one of the wealthiest men in the world, it was reported that months before his death, Steve Jobs’ home was surrounded by security guards with two black SUV’s blocking his driveway. In a Time magazine interview, Jobs’ biographer Walter Isaacson asked him why he had consented to a biography, given how private he was. Jobs replied, “I wanted my kids to know me,” adding that he hadn’t always been there for them and he wanted them to “know why and to understand” what he did.
You have everything you need for the life that you were created for. Don’t panic, don’t stress and don’t be discouraged as you diligently work to create and bring your vision to fruition. Oh, by the way, the story I shared earlier is a true one and you can find in Exodus 16.
Alesha Brown, The Joy Guru
Publisher|Best Selling Author|Transformational Speaker
CEO, Alesha Brown LLC